Backgroud

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Why do Catholics confess their sins....


Have you ever wondered by Catholics confess their sins to a Priest?  I am sure every Catholic gets this question one time or another and I am sure some Catholics don’t know the answer or Biblical proof.  I was one of those.  To be honest I love with people ask me questions as to why Catholics do certain things because if I don’t know the answer I find it.  When I find the answer it always makes me love the Catholic Church that much more.  My love keeps growing and growing for the Church. 

There are plenty of times where I would pray and ask God to forgive me.  It felt good; however the feeling that I get when I go to Confession is overwhelming with sadness and ending in joy.  You see when I go I pray about my sins.  I reflect on my sins.  I think of everything that I have done that has been heavy on my heart.  I sit there in the Church looking at the crucifix and every time cry.   I cry because I see, know, and feel that Jesus died for me.  He took all the pain and suffering because I am a sinner.  I am human.  I sin.  I don’t care how Christian anyone feels on Earth, you are a sinner.  You cannot live a perfect life.  As I reflect, I cry because of every sin that I caused pain to others and myself.  He died for my sins.  This is an amazing feeling I get before I go to confession. 

By the time I am ready, I go and confess my sins to the Priest.  Once I confess my sins the priest will have kind words of encouragement to help me sin no more.  Then I hear the best words EVER:   “I absolve you from your sins in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.”  It’s amazing how much weight is lifted from my shoulders.  I feel amazing.  I truly believe that I have been forgiven for my sins.  There are not words to explain it unless you experience it.  It’s a moment of peace.

Back to my question…have you ever wondered why Catholics confess their signs to a priest?   I have friends that tell me “but what about 1 John 1:9” 

Watch this video and see why we need to confess our sins!  Amen! God is Good!




No comments:

Post a Comment